I can say with experience it’s extremely difficult starting off in the “real world” as a fresh college graduate and keeping a positive attitude when doors don’t open the day after you graduate. Although you’ve had little to no experience at the job you want, do not let that discourage you. You’re not exactly where you want to be, but you are getting there! Everyone, including myself, has had their days of discouragement. Learn how to make the most of starting off small. I may not be an expert yet, but here are a few things I have learned that can be useful to remember and staying positive. Here they are:
- Take an internship or volunteer while you can. Finances are tough so this may not exactly be the route for everyone, but if you have the chance, just do it. It gets your foot in the door and helps to ease your nerves to confidently accept more responsibilities. This brings us to #2.
- Revel in working hard no matter the type task. Do the tedious and boring stuff with a good attitude. Yes, it may not be exactly what you want to be doing, but your attitude really shows a lot. If you do the small tasks well, you’ll eventually be assigned even more important and interesting tasks. This gives you a chance to perfect the small things before having the chance to mess up the big things and your employer won’t need to question if you can handle a larger task. Never have a big head. Patience is the key and sometimes you may just have to wait your turn and show you can do anything with a positive approach.
- Stay organized, never miss a deadline, and be on time. Is there really much more to be said on why this is so important?!
- Asking the right questions shows initiative. Find a mentor or someone to look up to and watch the work they produce. You can use this as a goal to improve the type of work your produce. Showing initiative and interest in learning really makes an impact.
- Don’t box yourself in. If you’re only concentrated on your own work and your own vision, you’re boxing yourself in. What is the company’s mission? When you do your work while remembering the overall “big idea” of the company, it makes work a little easier. You are part of a puzzle. Doing this also makes you irreplaceable employee!
Never forget, you’re going to get there! Keep in mind to work for the bigger purpose. It makes life a little easier! Here’s what I try to remember on a daily basis:
“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.” - Colossians 3:23
A few useful links to get you encouraged and on the right path: